[opendtv] Re: "Is Wal-Mart Good for America?"

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:37:59 -0500

Hmm.  What do you mean by "lately"?  William F. Buckley, Jr.'s "Firing
Line" was a PBS staple from the mid-'60s through the end of 1999.  Did
PBS go left for just the few years between him and Carlson?

I wonder whether an anti-establishment viewpoint is to be called
"left-leaning."

I just went to the "Frontline" site to see what they ran during
Clinton's administration.  One report, called "Justice for Sale" decried
the influence of campaign contributions on the appointment of judges and
praised reform efforts in Texas.  Another, "Once Upon a Time in
Arkansas," was subtitled, "the deals and relationships at the heart of
the scandals called 'whitewater'."

I would imagine that most of the news media have an anti-establishment,
scandal-mongering tilt.  That's what sells.  If the establishment is
right-leaning, that tilt comes off as left-leaning.  If the
establishment is left-leaning, the tilt comes off as right-leaning.

TTFN,
Mark