[opendtv] Re: Is LTE in Broadcast's Future?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 07:50:46 -0500

At 4:46 AM -0500 3/2/11, Albert Manfredi wrote:
I don't agree with Doug's comparions of HSDPA (WCDMA) vs LTE, either in terms of spectral efficiency (which is in fact identical if you use MIMO and the same channel widths in both cases) or in terms of immunity from multipath. I think that comparing CDMA with 8-VSB, in terms of multipath performance, just because CDMA is a single carrier scheme, is very misleading.

Nothing misleading in this article to me. win to me.

A migration to LTE broadcasting would provide improved spectral efficiency, a much wider range of potential services and the ability to leverage the same infastructure as that being used for broadband. Sounds like a win-win to me.

But Mr. Lung's final paragraph is the one worth paying attention to:

Whether or not ATSC-EV is the ultimate solution, it seems clear that TV broadcasting has to be given the regulatory opportunity to modify its transmission technology to keep up with other industries if broadcasting is going to survive. Figuring out how to get there from here without disenfranchising a large number of viewers is the tough part. Sinclair received help from engineers at Rohde and Schwarz and SES World Skies in its FCC presentation.

Actually Doug is overstating the problem with disenfranchising viewers. Even the shift to ATSC did little to disenfranchise anyone. What is far more important is how to get "a large number of viewers" to actually watch OTA TV again.