[opendtv] Re: Is 'Fair Use' in Peril?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 08:32:16 -0500

At 10:00 AM -0500 12/6/04, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
>If OTA and ad-assisted programming is truly on the way
>out, I'm sure it will die a natural death. This doesn't
>mean that govt should look the other way when folks out
>there unfairly help the industry in its demise. The
>govt should not be in bed with umbillical service
>providers.

Bert is now trying to get inside my head.

For the record, I DO NOT think that advertiser supported television
is on the way out, just as I do not expect the volume of junk mail to
decrease in either my snail mail or e-mail boxes.

What I DO expect is that advertiser supported television will
continue to be a feeder to other forms of higher quality
entertainment experiences. For example, the motion picture industry
IS NOT going to STOP advertising on TV to make us aware of their
latest "would-be" blockbusters at the local cineplex. Similarly, the
music industry IS NOT going to stop using advertiser supported radio
and music TV to promote the sales of music, even as millions of
people subscribe to satellite radio.

The distribution food chain we have been discussing is evolving, as
it becomes possible to bypass some of the traditional distribution
channels and go direct to the consumer. Thus we see a bunch of low
budget movies that move quickly through theatrical distribution to
DVD release, which is the real target market for these flicks. But
the big blockbuster stuff needs wide exposure and a bit of "bandwagon
promotion," which is where the mass media really shines. The movie
company runs ads, then fills all of the entertainment shows,
breakfast TV, and the late night shows with the stars from the flick.
The network radio news faithfully reports the top box office hits
from the previous weekend. And on occasion, some controversy is
ignited that gets the movie talked about on the 24/7 cable news nets
and talk radio. All of this is designed to provide wide visibility of
the next potential blockbuster.  And let's not forget that we will be
subjected to more ads in the theater when we go to see the movie.

The reality is that advertiser supported TV is evolving into its
natural role in the mass media food chain.

At the bottom.