[opendtv] Re: Interview Bill Gates

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 09:07:46 -0400

At 10:08 AM +0200 10/18/05, Jeroen Stessen wrote:
>I am not one to believe that Microsoft has really improved the world,=20
>so let's just wait what happens. I think that you need to offer the=20
>consumer something that he can touch, and put in a rack, before he=20
>will pay for the content. People want to collect tangible things.=20
>Put it on a hard disk, make one mistake, and it's all gone forever.=20

Hmmmmmm...

Apple is selling more than 2.5 million songs a week in the U.S. alone
via the iTUNES music store. Total sales now have surpassed 1/2
billion. The downloads also include the album art. and related data.
I will NEVER buy an audio CD again.

Comcast just announced that they have hosted more than 1 billion VOD events...

Perhaps Blu-Ray or HD-DVD will have a place in the future, but my bet
is that it will be the recordable versions, and that people will
download content then burn the good stuff to a disc to put up on that
rack.