[opendtv] Re: Internet TV distribution architecture

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 23:07:43 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Co siting within ISPs is not widespread, however, it all comes down
> to where the WAN hubs are located,

You're right to answer "all of the above," but not on what you said here. Where
the mirrored servers are located depends on how many sessions to a particular
site the customers of an ISP want, and how snappy a user experience the owners
of the site want people to have. Sites that want to create the best user
experience will contract for servers closer to the customers. And of course,
any site that gets lots of traffic will almost be obliged to locate more
mirrored servers, or risk doing what happened on 9/11/01, when the Internet
here became practically useless.

> Adding the bandwidth to the lady mile is still the most expensive
> proposition,

That's almost an orthogonal issue. When you have individual sessions to a
server, the last mile connection may not even be the issue. Much more relevant
will be the aggregate bandwidth required at busy servers.

So, back to the original point, a big surge in HDTV traffic is definitely going
to require multiple additional server capacity. Who is going to jump on this
new opportunity? It's that simple.

> We disagree.  For Broadcast LTE the mesh does not need to be as dense
> as you assert.

This isn't up for debate, Craig! It's a simple fact of life.

Here is the information that was already provided to you, but which you should
seek out on your own now, to make it stick. For LTE in broadcast mode, what is
the relationship between b/s/Hz and tower spacing?