[opendtv] Re: Internet TV distribution architecture

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 09:02:29 -0500

On Jan 4, 2014, at 8:13 PM, Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Pay attention, Craig. Where exactly do you think Akamai's mirrored servers
> are physically located, with respect to individual ISP networks? Like, draw a
> diagram. Maybe then you'll start to get it.

Exactly where I stated yesterday. They are in major cities and at major WAN
hubs like Gainesville. Typically a request from a "viewer" via their ISP will
be routed to servers that are "close," however, they can use an alternate
mirror site if the closest site is congested.

> So the question is, if TV over the Internet becomes the norm, who will take
> up the extra load? Akamai? Who gets to insert the local ads? Akamai? I'm not
> saying they can't, I'm merely asking why the broadcasters don't get involved
> in this new game, since it is in fact the functional equivalent of the
> services they were providing for network TV delivered OTA.

What local ads? If the networks originate the streams you are nationalizing
what was a local medium.

In reality, targeted ads can be inserted into any stream, just as display ads
are targeted today for most pages we visit. To be honest I am not certain where
the ads are coming from - typically from another server (Google?).

I understand your reasoning about broadcasters getting into this new game. To
date they have not shown any interest, in large measure because they do not
have the rights to get into this business. Logic would suggest that the local
cable companies would do this, as they are the dominant ISP in most
communities, and they already do local ad insertions - I.e. They already sell
local ads.

Clearly, LTE broadcast makes sense for local broadcasters...

But they do not have the rights to offer this service either.

Obviously this could change at the whim of the congloms and major rights
holders like sports leagues..

> The Internet was well established by 1998, when DTV was in its infancy, Craig.

Hardly. Netscape was introduced in 1994; IE launched in 1995. The cable guys
were still pushing Full Service Networks. The Internet reached ~3% of the
worlds population in 1998.

> The services you mention, like USDTV (IIRC) and Moviebeam, similarly faced a
> problem of coming too late. MVPDs could do the job better, and were well
> established.

USDTV failed because it was a horrible subscription service - not enough
bandwidth to offer a competitive service. Moviebeam required another STB and
you paid for each movie.

The other problem with you thinking is that it goes against the trends. Which
are, more is done "in the cloud," not less. Tablets and smartphones depend more
on this hyped up "cloud," less on internal storage and internal processing.

Great when you have connectivity; local storage is key when you don't. Tablets
go birth ways; chrome books are useless without a connection.