[opendtv] Re: Internet Patent Claims Stir Concern

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:39:43 -0400

I don't know what's so surprising or hard to imagine about
any of this. First of all, as the article says, there are
already plenty of examples of sites available only for a
fee. And secondly, we have had for about a century a
global network that required payment for use. It's called
the telephone network.

If businesses which use the web or FTP sites think it's to
their advantage to go to such a model, it will merely make
Internet users behave more like telephone users. It's
hard to believe that would make a lot of sense to these
businesses, but it's up to them.

The fact seems to be, though, that it's the telephone
companies trending to more of a fixed fee service. That
can either mean that pay-per-use Internet will not
happen in a big way, or it could mean that telephony and
Internet are converging to a middle ground business
model. I tend to believe the former.

Bert