[opendtv] Re: Intel plans online TV service

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 20:07:15 -0600

TLM wrote:

> Would you like to talk with Erik Huggers or shall I?  (He and I
> worked at Microsoft 12+ years ago.)

Cool! Maybe we can get the straight scoop here.

As you know, I use Internet TV literally every day, displayed on my HDTV set,
audio to my stereo system. But I was obliged to dedicate a standard PC to this
job. Parenthetically, the PC has an Intel Core i5 processor, so it's already an
Intel product!!

The sites I use are the networks' own sites (cbs.com, abc.com, fox.com, etc.),
also for foreign TV networks, I use YouTube, and I occasionally use Hulu as
well. I can find a ton of other portals, such as this one,
http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/movies/, or this one,
http://wwitv.com/portal.htm, using any standard search engine.

I've never used Amazon, although I could if I wanted to (my wife has an Amazon
Prime account, which gives access to TV shows and movies). I do not have a
Netflix account, but that would obviously be available to me too.

Long story short, no lack of content, without being dependent on any one portal
or a special STB. Free or for a fee, take your pick.

So, my questions to Erik would be:

1. Why should content owners go to Intel, when these content owners already
have so many other portals to get their stuff out, including their own web
sites and jointly owned ones like Hulu, or other new portals that seem to pop
up daily?

2. Why don't the CE vendors sell smart TVs that can do what I have no trouble
doing with a PC now? Why are smart TVs so hopelessly crippled?

3. If Intel wants to get into the Internet TV STB market, why doesn't Intel
simply offer a cleverly designed thin client, with the appropriate TV
interfaces (composite, component, HDMI, what have you), so that people can do
what I've set up without having to dedicate a full-fledged PC to the job?
Perhaps using their new Atom processor, to keep costs and power requirements
down?

Basically, I wonder why take the approach of walling in content, to get into
the Internet TV market, when Intel should be perfectly positioned to sell
properly designed, unwalled, net-neutral hardware to the task, WITHOUT needing
to make any special deals with any networks at all?

Thanks!