[opendtv] Re: Intel: Leaked HDCP copy protection code is legit

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 13:12:37 -0400

Mike Tsinberg wrote:
> Nevertheless even open HDMI is not very attractive for pirates because the
> signal is not compressed. And it is very expensive to re-compress with good
> quality. To manufacture without HDCP license will be risky for the
> manufacturer and will mean short lifespan for that brand
>

> Mike Tsinberg
> web: www.keydigital.com <http://www.keydigital.com/>
>
>   _____

It is possible this opens things up a bit for set top boxes.  Dunno.
But as far as decrypting/ripping/playing  blue ray movies, that sort of
software has been available since even before the very first BD drives
even appeared, first used on HD-DVD disks.

Though I have never yet acquired a legal or illegal player for either
format.  For some reason about that time I just sort of lost interest in
collecting movies.  At first it was probably just the expense then I
just sort of never bothered.  Or maybe it was just that my kids are
grown now.

- Tom