[opendtv] Re: Intel Cancels TV Chip Project

  • From: "Brian Park" <floman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:45:11 -0500

Yield and market share, I think.

1920 x 1080 pixels that have to be perfect on every chip is a real
challenge, and to do that from the get go in an already well defined field
dominated by other technologies is an even greater challenge. I don't think
Intel could get the customer wins it needed either. It's not like the CPU
market where there are thousands of customers, down to the individual level,
and the chips can be graded for performance to improve yield. There's no
grading for projection chips. There are less than a few hundred front
projector and RP TV manufacturers and they seem to be quite happy with DLP
and LCD. I'm very happy with my Panasonic DLP RP and would never swop it out
for LCOS.

We saw similar ventures a few years ago when everyone jumped on the CMOS
imaging bandwagon, because the foundries thought that CMOS imaging was a
simple jump for their existing lines. Not so, as they found to their cost.
CCD still rules the high end, and will do so for some time.

bp