[opendtv] Re: Integrated DTV PSIP

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 13:25:12 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> Worst possible environment for 8-VSB?  When NTSC works
> very adequately at the Famous Schubin Site?

Yes.

From way back in 1994 or so, everyone who followed ATSC
knew that 8-VSB was lousy in Rayleigh fading environments.
Which is why when I first found out that Mark's apartment
was in the worst sort of Rayleigh fading, I thought,
"well, duh!"

NTSC doesn't care whether the ghost image occurs before
(to the left) or after (to the right) of the stronger
signal. NTSC will also work if ghost is horrendous. And
if ghost occurs close to the main image, unless you take
a photo of the screen, the ghost might not even be
objectionable.

I get ghost in many local stations, but I get more ghost
free reception of Baltimore stations. From my normal
viewing distance, the local station ghost is easy to
ignore. My hope is that this ghost, being of the lagging
kind, will not be too troubling to the Accurian I bought.

And mobile reception 5 miles from the transmitter might
be great in some ways, but it won't help that guy in
Elkton MD receive his Baltimore "local" stations.