[opendtv] Re: Integer vs. Floating Point

  • From: Ron Economos <k6mpg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 16:24:02 -0700

H.264 makes extensive use of prediction, since even the intra
coding modes rely upon spatial prediction. As a result, H.264 is
very sensitive to prediction drift. In prior standards, prediction
drift accumulation can occur once per P-frame. In contrast, in
H.264 prediction drift can occur much more frequently. As an
illustration, in an I-frame, 4x4 blocks can be predicted from
their neighbors. At each stage prediction drift can accumulate.
For a CIF image, which has a width of 88 4x4 blocks, prediction
drift can accumulate 88 times in decoding one row of an
I-frame. Thus, it is clear that as a result of the extensive use of
prediction with H.264, the residual coding must be drift-free.

http://www.ee.bgu.ac.il/~marcuse/Project/New%20stuff%20from%20Shlomo/H264_Low-complexity_transform_and_quantization.pdf

Ron