[opendtv] Re: Insignia brand D/A converter audio output

  • From: Richard Hollandsworth <holl_ands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 23:10:09 -0700 (PDT)

I you read the Converter Box, Insignia NS-DXA1, Zenith DTT900
and Digital Stream DTX9900 threads on avsforum, you'll find quite
a few reports of audio distortion and "chirping" noises
on the LEFT channel, but only when watching some
(not all) Dolby Digital encoded programs.

Goes away in MONO.
Reducing converter box audio level to about 85% helps...but not a cure.
Cheap speakers...and aging hearing helps to mask the problem.

BTW: All three use same/similar circuit board with LGDT1111
System-On-A-Chip with embedded 6th GenATSC Decoder.

holl_ands

==================================
Albert Manfredi <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The only problem, among those listed by Cliff, that would cause real concern
was the one about the audio output of the Insignia STB. So I searched the user
comments on the Best Buy web site.

It looks like this STB does indeed have an internal volume control, and that it
needs to be set to near max output level, with volume otherwise controlled with
the TV's or audio system's volume control. And I didn't see any other posters
complaining about the audio output level.

My bet is, operator error with the post Cliff copied. Sounds like that user had
not realized that this Insignia box has its own volume control, so he was
trying to play it back by adjusting only his audio system's volume.

It's an easy mistake to make. After all, most other audio sources DO NOT have
their own audio output setting.

Here is a rather thorough customer feedback post.

Bert

---------------------------
Best $$$ spent.   03/22/2008
By RetiredTechnician from Iowa  Read all my reviews

Pros: Can easily add channels on the fly.
Cons: See Review

"We bought this unit to use in a RV. We've had it almost a month and have had
no problems with it. When using it in a RV, the 'add channels on the fly'
feature is a requirement. Some of the cheaper converter boxes don't have any
'add channel' feature, thereby requiring a complete auto-scan everytime you
change the antenna direction ... and in a RV, this happens often.

You can't watch analog channels, which is expected since this box is designed
to convert digital channels to analog. In addition, in a few months there won't
be any analog channels to watch.

The audio/video breakup is not a problem unless it's worse than other Digital
TVs or converter boxes. This video/audio breakup is a digital trait when signal
level is borderline or the antenna system needs attention. The breakup on our
converter box is less than with a LG HDTV on the same RV antenna system.

***The following sound problems were only noticed when connected via the RF
connector.***. We also experienced the 'tinny' sound. In addition, we noticed a
slight hissing sound when the volume was set low. Both of these problems were
solved by doing two things: 1. setting the converter box's "Option/Audio
Output" to "Mono"; and 2. set the converter box volume to near max and do the
volume adjust with the TV volume.

As far as the S-video/Component/HDMI connections: I haven't seen any converter
box, which ACCEPT THE GOVERNMENT CONVERTER BOX COUPON, that have any of these
connections. There may be some, but I've looked extensively and haven't found
any.

This box took us from a few analog RV channels that were sometimes 'unviewable'
to a good solid picture with many more channels. I'd recommend this box over
two others we've looked at which are a few dollars less. You get what you pay
for; and this is close to 'middle of the road'. Considering the price, I would
give it a 5 ... except anything electronic can (and will) be improved!"

Windows Live Hotmail is giving away Zunes.
http://www.windowslive-hotmail.com/ZuneADay/?locale=en-US&ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Mobile_Zune_V3