[opendtv] Innovative use of HD Radio

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 18:15:06 -0400

Today while scanning the HD Radio FM band, I ran across something that reminded
me of a recent (June 10th) speech by Commissioner Clyburn.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-298738A1.pdf

Towards the end:

"However, in addition to current NCE FM new station licensing efforts and the
upcoming LPFM window, HD can provide yet another way to promote broadcast
diversity and expanded programming options.

"Based on the Commission’s 2007 order, we have imposed virtually no limits on
the use of HD-2 and HD-3 channels. And the FCC’s Media Bureau routinely permits
FM translators to rebroadcast these channels. No prior staff approval is
required.

"In my view, NFCB should explore with its members the possibility of entering
into partnerships with commercial and NCE stations to program HD-2 and HD-3
channels, and to acquire or enter into agreements to use translators to
rebroadcast community station programming as analog signals."

I'm not sure about the use of analog translators, or the emphasis on
non-commercial radio stations. But I did see evidence of "... we have imposed
virtually no limits on the use of HD-2 and HD-3 channels."

One of our local FM/HD Radio rock stations is simulcasting the content of a
talk radio AM station, on its HD-2 channel. Commercials, callsigns (of the AM
station), and all. Before HD Radio, I thought, simulcasting an AM station on FM
was forbidden?

This made me think that it would take very little bandwidth to move the few
remaining AM stations to HD Radio in the FM band. Not sure who would want the
AM band. Perhaps it should be offered "magnanimously" to wireless cellular,
just like the TV VHF bands. Lots of fanfare. Seriously, the AM band could be
put to good use as a vehicular radio band for first responders, for example.
Digital, of course.