[opendtv] Re: Incrementalism

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 22:40:36 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> So why would the networks let their most valuable assets be accessed
> by a small percentage of viewers, thus undercutting the release
> window for these shows by the international broadcasters who license
> them?

You're describing someone who is too greedy for his own good. All because
you're unable to get past the MVPD mindset. I already explained that a lot of
US TV programming is actually not aired overseas, simply because of time
restrictions. Then you add that some people prefer the program dubbed into
their own language, and delivered the old-fashioned way. So for the foreseeable
future, the old-fashioned way will soldier on.

But you're still left with a whole lot of potential new eyeballs, which would
be taken into account by the advertisers, when this stuff is made available
internationally. Content that was previously not available, and/or people lured
into watching US shows in their original form. (Ever watch, say, Tom Selleck
dubbed into Italian? They get it all wrong. You lose in the translation.)

> If they could. The point is that the U.S. Congloms have no reason to
> undermine their current International distribution business model.

Augment, and potentially/eventually replace entirely. Not "undermine." You
continue to forget that US TV networks already make their content available on
more than just MVPDs, here in the US. So at some level, they did figure this
out, Craig. Internet distribution adds value, and may eventually totally
displace the old single-purpose, broadcast-oriented infrastructures. With the
opportunity to add so much viewership ("only" 500M broadband households
internationally right now), only you can think this is a "stretch."

If the networks aren't restricted anymore by the limitations of legacy
international distribution monopolies, including simple time limits imposed by
the requirement of foreign local content mandates, they stand to gain. Even if
they make less per show, which is a big if, they still stand to gain in the
aggregate. And way, way more so in the future, when that "only" 500 million
broadband customer numbers is bound to grow.

> Foreign competitors have every reason to want to access the U.S.
> Market, and the Internet is making it possible to bypass the
> gatekeeper U.S.

Congratulations. And, ditto in the opposite direction. Whenever you see "MVPDs"
or even "OTA broadcasters" as mandatory middlemen, try to think "gatekeepers."
Not just in the US, but everywhere. Internet distribution can bypass these.

> This us not a question of what the viewers prefer.

That's hysterical, Craig. As long as we're just arm-waving with vague verbiage,
it's ALWAYS what the customers prefer. Business models have to adapt to
technology and customer preferences, which have this nasty habit of changing
over time. Those who adapt fastest have a way of winning at this game.

Your mention of people with no electricity is so totally beside the point!