[opendtv] Re: Incentives for buying integrated DTVs

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 00:33:45 -0400

I forgot that it IS full moon tonight.

johnwillkie wrote:

I had to top the outrageousness in your post, didn't I? HDTV wasn't mandatory in 1996, nor 2006. I watched about 50 hours of floor and committee hearings in the mid-1990's and I never heard a single person suggest that HDTV be mandatory. Indeed, more than a few politicos suggested that HDTV should be forbidden because HDTV sets would be too expensive. Some of those same politicos are now 'concerned' about how the DTV transition will affect seniors. So, there has NEVER been even a HINT officially that HDTV be made mandatory. (There were mid-stage discussions in that direction among FCC staff, but they went nowhere.) Do you see the outrageousness of your caution? You are, in large measure, warning them about something that a) will not affect them and 2) which they will not care a whit about even if they did know about it. Now, you and I might care about pixel count and color depth, but most people just want to watch TV, and the only situation where I can imagine that going digital will result in lower-quality video from analog, except when the new set is smaller than the old, and even then, it's only "possible."

What you are doing is not unlike, when a friend shows you his new car, you respond with "why did you buy that? You could get into a crash!"

There's a simple reason for people to buy 16x9 tv sets. TV is going to that format, and if you buy a new wide-screen digital set, your picture will be taller because you won't see the black bars at the top and bottom of all those popular prime-time dramatic programs. I believe I mentioned in hereabouts first in early 2000

What's your nit to pick with that? Should I have said "effective picture will be taller?"