[opendtv] In HDTV, Deserts and Dust Motes Get Thumbs Up

  • From: Monty Solomon <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipient: ;
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 02:07:30 -0500

In HDTV, Deserts and Dust Motes Get Thumbs Up

January 20, 2005
 By JONATHAN D. GLATER

NOT once did it occur to me to tell my wife that we needed
a high-definition television set because it would make us
smarter.

Why would I have thought of that? The nice guys at the
store never made that argument. They did not need to, of
course, because like a 3-year-old, I was won over by the
sleek shininess of the cabinet, the razor sharpness of the
picture, the brilliance of the colors and the exciting
possibility of going broke.

We bought a 30-inch tube television because - I found by
spending too much time at an electronics store - the
picture looked sharper than any of the fancy projection
sets and the price was lower than any ultra-chic plasma,
liquid-crystal display or other magical television.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/20/technology/circuits/20natu.html