[opendtv] Re: Iger: Computer Replacing TV as Primary Entertainment Source

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 20:52:36 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

"Iger expressed satisfaction with Disney's iTunes sales -- he said the company
has sold around 4 million movies and 40 million-50 million TV episodes through
iTunes during their 18-month partnership and the sales had not cannibalized
Disney's traditional media revenues."

> I still contend that the Internet is a secondary market for media, and
> broadcast (cablecast) is the primary market. Would Iger have spent
> as much on production of programs offered exclusively through
> iTunes? Hint: He hasn't made any such programs yet.

Besides which, pundits write whatever they need to write to further their
cause. Often, that cause amounts to generating hype in order to sell print.

In the article below, you see that Internet use overall is about even with TV
use. Considering how possibly the majority of people use computers for work
and/or for other non-entertainment-related functions, it seems extremely
unlikely that computers are preferred to TV for entertainment per se.

In fact, it's cell phones that seem to be the most indispensable.

The trend does seem to favor computers over TV, but then again, that doesn't
translate to "for entertainment." It just means that we have become more
dependent on computers.

Missing from this is, f'rinstance, how dependent on the morning newspaper? On
the office secretary to get your typing done? On the graphics department to do
your presentations? On the Yellow Pages to find the products you need? On brick
and mortar stores for every need? On the weekend movie theater? On reading
magazines and books? And so on. Lots of reasons why computers are used more and
more, and lots of these have nothing to do with TV's role.

My bet is that the TV entertainment function in and of itself is not much
diminished, if at all.

http://www.digitaltvdesignline.com/news/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=Q4ZOS0TF3JCQGQSNDLPSKH0CJUNN2JVN?articleID=206902660

March 06, 2008

Cell phones beat out TV, Internet as must-have

By Terry Sweeney

If you've had a creeping sense that wireless has become more integral to your
working and personal lives, then Wednesday's numbers from the Pew Internet
Project will confirm it with hard numbers.

Some 51% of those surveyed said their cell phones would be the hardest to give
up, followed by the Internet (45%), television (43%), and landline phones
(40%). The breakdown is a striking contrast to a similar survey done two years
ago when respondents said their landlines would be hardest to relinquish,
followed by television, cell phones, and the Internet.

Among its other major findings:

62% of all Americans have either used a mobile handset for a "nonvoice data
application" (text, e-mail, picture taking, maps and directions, or recording
video, for example) or accessed the Internet wirelessly

At 73%, Hispanics send or receive text messages most frequently, followed by
African Americans (68%) and whites (53%)

In addition, the study noted that Hispanics in the United States are younger on
average than whites or African Americans, but that their "attachment to the
cell phone stands out even after controlling for age and other demographic and
socioeconomic factors," according to John Horrigan, an associate director at
Pew. Hispanics and adults under age 30 also are the biggest users of wireless
access or wireless apps away from home or work, he added.

Pew surveyed 2,054 users, including 500 cell phone subscribers in December; the
margin of error is plus or minus 3 points.

Here's how surveyed users ranked the nonvoice data apps they use on their cell
phones or PDAs in a typical day: send/receive text messages (31%); picture
taking (15%); play games (8%); access news, weather, or sports info (7%); play
music (7%); instant messaging (6%); record a video (3%); get map or directions
(3%); and watch video (3%).

All material on this site Copyright 2006 CMP Media LLC. All rights reserved