[opendtv] Re: If you can't beat 'em...

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 16:03:52 -0400

> There may be a compromise between live and disk storage.  Content
> providers may balk at anything that can sit too long on a drive
> somewhere.  But prime-ish content might be available if it only lived
> for a day or two.  That could be done with expiration dates but even
> better if the keys never lived on the drive at all but instead had to be
> broadcast live (every so often) OTA.  And the way to do this all
> economically is probably not with a special receiver box but instead as
> a special add-on to an otherwise standard OTA PVR box.  The features
> just overlap too much to pay for them twice.

You're bringing up concepts for products that already exist and have
been deployed for years. Content is already pushed and sits on drives.
FECM and DRM wrapping is nothing revolutionary, neither is content ageing.

Please define what you mean by 'addon'.

> Imagine the daily menu consisted of premium movies mastered in high
> quality in AVC or VC1 960x540 at about 3 mbps including audio.  With
> care the apparent quality here could match network HD fare but, stealing
> 15 mbps 20 hours/day, would allow up to 50 different 2 hour movies every
> day if they really wanted.  At any given time (except prime time) up to
> 5 of these would even be playing in real time if anybody cared.  But
> they would also live in Tivo land for another day or few.

Welcome to iBlast.. Cyberstar.. GeoCast.. and countless other trials.

This is my point about OTA providers not 'getting it'.

> Or, you could insert the same prime channel network and local
> commercials as PVR material played if you wanted advertising supported
> content and wanted the advertisers on your side.  After all, this would
> now be timely, if not real time, material so time sensitive ad's would
> still apply.

Which would be local content substitution with time offset to correspond
to that of the current location in the EPG. This also already exists.

> And all this would be for a single broadcaster.

Why not make it for all broadcasters? What is the point otherwise of all
the delivery standards we have for e.g. ATSC.

Oh wait, they aren't sufficient to roll something like this out. Silly me.

Cheers
Kon ;-)