[opendtv] Re: If you can't beat 'em...

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 17:16:14 -0400

Mark Aitken wrote:

> Strictly speaking, it could fly DELIVERED OTA but certainly
> NOT FREE. And just think, with current law, Broadcasters
> would then have to pay the government for that running
> porn...Certainly easy to do on technical grounds. Political
> mess??? Most certainly. Would I want to work for an
> organization that provided such content? Never in a million
> years...

<Chuckles>

The pornography angle is just one ever-so-obvious suggestion to attract
a strong following. Its obviousness, if anything, only shows that even
complete lack of imagination would not prevent an OTA station, or
network, from obtaining growing viewership.

Depending on just how pornographic the content is, it could be
conditional access only, or it could be free but aired only late at
night, or it could be wide open. All depends on degree.

Isn't that how VCRs got going? I think so. But they certainly blossomed
after that.

How is Rehr as the new NAB boss? His comments on TV Technology seem
cogent enough to me.

http://www.tvtechnology.com/features/news/2006.04.03-1-n_in_rehr_form.sh
tml

Even if I don't think that multicast must-carry should be so important
to broadcasters, I think the point needs to be hammered home to the
lawmakers that broadcasters are only requesting their 3 MHz of spectrum
from cables systems. Be it multicast or just one channel of HD, that 3
MHz slice (equivalent) doesn't change, and is only half of what they
were getting with analog must-carry. How hard can it be to get that
simple point across? It's NOT demanding more spectrum from cable
systems.

Rehr makes an excellent point when he talks about the clueless on the
Hill getting their info from people who are likely just as clueless.