[opendtv] Re: If you can't beat 'em...

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 16:13:25 -0400

> of additional content, presumably the whole concept is flawed. I doubt
> anyone in their right mind would think pornography would *not* sell.

Oh it would, and trust me many people have floated the playboy or
hustler or whatever content over broadcast channel distribution idea.
The problem that I have seen is that where the integrator and system
designer were all for it, the broadcaster was not. And where the
integrator and system designer were against it, so was the broadcaster.

The funny thing here is that the content owners were all ready to go at it.

The few attempts I have seen at the companies I have been with (strip
poker interactive TV apps, video datacasting, etc.) have all flopped
because the pipe provider didn't want to provide the bandwidth.

> their additional b/s for, so one would expect much experimentation to
take
> place as polling results like Tom's start emerging (to peak the
> broadcasters' interest in their digital tier).

See there is the problem. All that ever happens is experimentation. If I
had my own OTA station I would scrounge funds together to buy some off
the shelf STB that already supports VOD, datacast EPG, cached content
substitution for live content in the EPG, and ATSC (*cough* *cough*),
advertise the heck out of it, sell a few directly, and let word of mouth
spread. The other side of the coin is sitting on my hands and doing
nothing, and letting all the old content in archives continue to collect
dust.

Cheers
Kon