[opendtv] Re: ISP Filtering

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 20:05:27 -0600

On somewhat of a tangent, at the time anyway (maybe now too, I don't know),
Netflix did not offer all of their DVD inventory online. That's why so many of
their customers were irate by this move.

If I were the CEO, I would have gradually phased out DVDs, without causing this
huge backlash. This move was simply unnecessary. I would have started by
matching the DVD inventory in the streaming service, and then I would have
gradually raised the fees for the DVD service. Because certainly, it makes
sense to get people onto online delivery, but it's not too smart to make your
intentions so obvious.

a. The customers who wanted the entire choice of movies were disadvantaged with
two accounts.

b. The customers who didn't have reasonably fast Internet access were made to
feel like they were being dumped.

Was this necessary? I don't think so.