[opendtv] Re: ISP Filtering

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 16:04:08 -0600

Dan Grimes wrote:

> I am not following you, Bert.  Comcast was blocking internet content
> to their ISP subscribers, correct?  Or are you saying that, because
> Comcast is also an MVPD, they are not really an ISP?

Netflix was thinking, "Gosh, we're going to get rid of our DVD mailing service,
and simply use this 'free' Internet pipe instead. What a deal!" (Maybe not
free, but whatever they were already paying to Comcast.)

Comcast said, "Netflix, if you want to stream so much of your HD content over
our network now, i.e. pushing online streaming vs DVDs in the mail, you owe us
more money. Because we're having to build up our infrastructure to support your
traffic load."

Comcast is essentially saying, "If you (Netflix) need to charge your customers
more, for their online streaming subscriptions, so you can cover the costs to
use our pipe, so be it. Charge them more! We ain't giving you a free ride."

Anyway, bottom line, I cannot fault Comcast in this case. They are not saying
"Forget it, we want to establish our own movie service, so you're out." BTW,
did you read what Craig just posted? Comcast and Verizon both want to launch
their own movie IP streaming service. But it doesn't say they will block
Netflix.