[opendtv] Re: ISP Filtering

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 09:42:35 -0800

I am not following you, Bert.  Comcast was blocking internet content to
their ISP subscribers, correct?  Or are you saying that, because Comcast is
also an MVPD, they are not really an ISP?

I personally subscribe to Cox Communications for ISP services but not their
MVPD services.  As I stated before, if Cox employed the same tactic that
Comcast used, or any tactic that filtered my internet service (other than
what I elect to have them filter), I would immediately drop their service
because they would no longer be providing internet services.  In other
words, I am not paying Cox Communications for a walled garden service and I
don't think Comcast customers are either.  If theses companies can't
separate these two services, then I need to find a new ISP.

I realize you boiled it down to the cost for the addition infrastructure to
the ISP to stream media.  I just think Comcast wrongfully applied it to the
source rather than to the destination.  Of course, it is my opinion that
this was just an excuse to filter out the competition, something I would
not put up with.

I know we've been round on this before so I apologize to all for bringing
it up again.

-----------------------
From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 17:35:52 -0600
Subject: [opendtv] Re: ISP Filtering

Dan Grimes wrote:

> When Bert and I were discussing the case of Comcast filtering
> sources where Netflix data was originating from, Bert was okay
> with this while I had real problems with it.

That was because Comcast saw that Netflix had been creating a huge
percentage of the load on the Comcast IP network, so Comcast wanted to be
compensated accordingly. After all, Comcast was having to upgrade their
network to accommodate this new traffic.

I have no problem with people getting paid for the services they actually
provide. I have a big problem with services blocking content so they can
promote their own content exclusively, or their own content cache, when
we're talking about the Internet. It's fair enough to play those games in a
walled garden service, but not on the Internet, IMO.

The Genachowski FCC is making a big deal about net neutrality, specifically
because they worry that ISPs will start playing like MVPDs. I only disagree
with the Genachowski FCC on this score because this hasn't happened yet.
Their pre-emptive actions are uncalled for, so far.

Bert