[opendtv] Re: ISP Filtering

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 17:35:52 -0600

Dan Grimes wrote:

> When Bert and I were discussing the case of Comcast filtering
> sources where Netflix data was originating from, Bert was okay
> with this while I had real problems with it.

That was because Comcast saw that Netflix had been creating a huge percentage
of the load on the Comcast IP network, so Comcast wanted to be compensated
accordingly. After all, Comcast was having to upgrade their network to
accommodate this new traffic.

I have no problem with people getting paid for the services they actually
provide. I have a big problem with services blocking content so they can
promote their own content exclusively, or their own content cache, when we're
talking about the Internet. It's fair enough to play those games in a walled
garden service, but not on the Internet, IMO.

The Genachowski FCC is making a big deal about net neutrality, specifically
because they worry that ISPs will start playing like MVPDs. I only disagree
with the Genachowski FCC on this score because this hasn't happened yet. Their
pre-emptive actions are uncalled for, so far.