[opendtv] Re: IPTV EPG Details .........How ...

  • From: Terry Harvey <tjharvey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:38:33 -0700

Donald,

Our program guide information is updated regularly and if a program runs
late, we take the trouble to update the PSIP EPG: this is straightforward
as the program department will automatically upgrade the EPG when the
automation play schedule is changed. This contrasts with the accuracy of
third party companies which have often displayed discrepancies.

We recently received complaints from Direct TV viewers who complained that
the program schedule on our HD and SD programming did not match the
programs broadcast, despite assurances our broadcast PSIP EPG was correct.
We traced this to the third party company which fed the information to
Direct who in turn relayed the EPG via satellite. We found it odd to
discover that Direct customers received our HD program over the air and the
program guide via satellite!

I would say the only problem in furnishing the EPG oneself was that checks
against third party companies were not regularly made. We are now
considering ways to easily monitor and update external guide providers.

Regards,

Terry Harvey