[opendtv] Re: IPTV EPG Details .........How ...

  • From: Terry Harvey <tjharvey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 21:32:24 -0700

Craig,

There is an alternative to the media companies feeding your station's EPG.
At our over-the-air station, I implemented a system which links and creates
the guide information from our traffic/scheduling database. It is parsed by
our PSIP generator and mux'ed with our outgoing stream. Because of the
link, it is the most up-to-date guide as over the air guide is updated
twice a date and sooner if necessary if there is a schedule change.

As for the analog channel guide, we transmit the analog TSID on the analog
channel and analog channel guide on DTV. This means that Analog NTSC/ DTV
receivers can access our full analog and digital channels EPG.

It is interesting that in the most recent FCC Report and Order on DTV, the
FCC specifies that the analog TSID must be carried by all analog
broadcasters but was not clear on the linkage between the analog guide and
the TSID. Further, we have found that not all analog/digital receivers can
find the analog guide. (The RCA DCT-100 parses the analog guide from the
analog carrier frequency in PSIP and ignores the analog TSID!)

Terry Harvey