[opendtv] INTX 2015: Hulu Adds MVPD Partners | Multichannel

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 07:03:13 -0400

http://www.multichannel.com/news/tv-apps/intx-2015-hulu-adds-mvpd-partners/390385

INTX 2015: Hulu Adds MVPD Partners

Five more U.S. MVPDs have joined Cablevision Systems in striking deals with
Hulu that will enable them to offer the over-the-top streaming service to their
respective customers.

Armstrong, Atlantic Broadband, Mediacom Communications, Midcontinent
Communications and WideOpenWest (WOW!) have agreed to distribute the OTT
service. Those deals follow a similar agreement announced by Hulu and
Cablevision on April 28.

Hulu’s subscription service sells for $7.99 a month as a stand-alone OTT
service. In its announcement about the Hulu agreement, Mediacom noted that
pricing, availability date and “other particulars” will be announced in the
near future, echoing what Cablevision said last month.

Update: A Hulu official confirmed that the OTT service will also sell for $7.99
per month via its MVPD partners.

Hulu said the agreements will allow its pay TV partners to offer Hulu's full
library of content, including Hulu originals, directly to their video and
broadband subscribers via their "advanced set-top boxes."

“At Hulu, we believe users should have the ability to consume their favorite
content, when, where and how they want,” Tim Connolly, Hulu’s senior vice
president, distribution, said in a statement. “We are very excited to partner
with these MVPDs to bring Hulu to users where they are already watching TV.”

“We believe Hulu is the perfect complement to Mediacom’s Internet service
offerings,” John Pascarelli, Mediacom’s EVP of operations, added in a statement
issued by the MSO. “Hulu brings a robust video selection to our customers who
want to supplement their traditional cable service with online content at home
or on the go.”

Hulu, co-owned by NBCUniversal, Walt Disney Co., and 21st Century Fox,
announced last week that it has nearly 9 million subscribers, a 50% increase
since 2014.