[opendtv] Re: IMS Research predicts 446M viewing TV on cell phones by 2011

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 08:12:44 -0400

At 6:04 PM -0400 8/9/06, albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Not sure why this continues to be hyped so much. If I had to guess based on current fads, I'd say that real-time reception of broadcasts, including radio, is not nearly as fashionable as sporting the latest iPod. Maybe downloading video clips will similarly be more in demand than receiving broadcasts (although technically and in every other way, I find receiving broadcasts infinitely more interesting than playing back a recording).

Not sure why Bert thinks that the Internet will only be good for downloading pre-recorded video clips. I view real-time events frequently via the Internet, and as web access becomes more pervasive, I expect that watching real-time content will be just as normal as turning on a radio or TV.

And I do not understand why Bert thinks that PDAs and cellphones will continue to sport 4:3 screens. Virtually all of these devices are rectangular, so adding a wide screen display is simply a design exercise. Perhaps the attached image of a video enabled Nokia phone will help to clear up this misconception

And YES, I have changed the list settings to allow for attachments - please do not abuse this capability!

Here is my latest take on mobile video in the July issue of BE.

http://broadcastengineering.com/beyond_the_headlines/broadcasting_mobile_madness/