[opendtv] Re: IKEA's New Take on TVs: They Should Look Good in Your House

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 17:45:22 -0500

http://www.televisioninfo.com/News/Ikea-s-New-Take-on-TVs-They-Should-Look-Good-in-Your-House.htm

The saying goes, "What goes around comes around," right?

Back in the 1950s and 1960s, radio/record player consoles were commonplace.
Built-in record player, radio tuner/audio preamp combination, audio amp, and
speakers. In the later ones, the electronics were combined into one chassis.
Then by the mid 1960s, component stereos appeared on the scene. And by the
1970s, the consoles had more or less departed the scene.

To me, we're going back to the console, this time with the TV monitor and
"connected TV" ideas included, and with DVD player/BluRay player replacing the
old record player.

Or you can build your own. Best Buy has some decent looking glass component
shelf systems for sale, even with more or less successful cable-hiding
techniques.

The problem with the combined console systems is that some of the components go
obsolete sooner than others. Then, not many years after you bought it, that
snazzy modern look becomes a very dated look and dated technology, and not so
easy to upgrade.