[opendtv] Re: IETF mboned working group on (TV) content distribution

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 08:10:35 -0500

Thanks Bert!

This is informative. I will admit that it is not clear to me why IP multicasts
cannot be relied upon from large portals through the WAN to the ISPs. But it is
obvious that edge servers will be needed if the Internet is to scale up to
deliver TV to the masses, so it may not matter; the ISPs will need to deal with
this issue.

It is also obvious that the mboned group has been tasked with making all of
this work with full access control by the content providers who colocate
servers. Whether this is intended to continue leveraging the MVPD bundles for
authorization, or will lead to smaller bundles of programming controlled by
paid apps remains to be seen...