[opendtv] Re: I think I finally figured out Craig's confusion!

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 12:54:19 -0400

At 9:47 AM -0700 8/6/12, dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Bert wrote:

"Not even in PCs does that MPEG metadata go to the display. Certainly not over RGB, and certainly not over HDMI."

For the image portion of the HDMI, the actual MPEG metadata packets wouldn't be sent over the HDMI to the display, but the information that describes the image would certainly be sent. This includes, gamut, colorimetry, bit-depth, quantization range, resolution, etc.

All of this data is carried or inferred by the MPEG metadata; it is just a matter of the decoder parsing this data and repacking it into the HDMI metadata container.