[opendtv] I meant ESPN, not HBO

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 00:14:58 +0000

One alternative is for ESPN to sell direct to consumer. Let's say ESPN now gets
$4 from the MVPDs, per month per subscriber. And the MVPD charges, say, $6 per
month per subscriber. ESPN could decide, if we sell direct to consumer, we
could ask for $10 per month per subscriber, and come out way ahead. We get all
those $10, and our sports fans, e.g. those who couldn't care less about the
Food Network, can cut the cable.

So ESPN comes out ahead (even if Disney itself might not, depending how Disney
manages their other distributions.) ESPN still gets the old bundle hangers on,
and they make even bigger bucks from those they sell direct to.

Sorry about that.