[opendtv] Re: Huffington Post: Top 10 Streaming Video Trends You Can Expect in 2015

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 07:24:30 -0400

On May 19, 2015, at 7:28 PM, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

This last bit made me laugh:

"This unfortunately is not what the user wants. Users are more interested in
one place for all the content. At some point users who want this will get
exactly what they want (personalization - see #1) in order of importance, in
one place, for a hefty price. For free and with ads, it will remain
fragmented."

Really? Users want everything in one place for a hefty price? I guess that's
why they're fleeing from legacy MVPD packages!

And MVPDs do not provide exactly what viewers want...

At least not yet.

Hundreds of linear "live" channels filled with ever increasing numbers of ads
are certainly not what viewers want.

Appointment TV is not what viewers want.

Viewers are turning to paid OTT services that provide the personalized content
people want on demand.

You really need to keep things in context Bert. The paragraph you laughed at
was pointing out something I've been trying to get you to understand for
months. People are not going to replace an expensive umbilical service filled
with channels they don't watch, with 10-20 paid services filled with tons of
library content they don't want, just to get to the limited number of shows
they do want.

For example, people are not going to subscribe to:
CBS All Access
The equivalent from ABC, NBC, FOX, etc.
Netflix
HBO Now
Hulu Plus
And premium sports Apps

This would cost more than the MVPD bundles they would like to replace. What
they will do is spend the money they are spending today on a service that
integrates both the live and library content they want, and largely eliminates
the ads. I say largely, as the ads in live events are the holy grail - they are
nearly impossible to avoid, which is why live content is so important to
advertisers.

As a nation we spend hundreds of billions on entertainment. The
disintermediation that is occurring because of the shift to OTT distribution is
not going to reduce the amount people spend on entertainment, it is going to
cause the money to shift to the services that people find most attractive, as
we have already seen with Netflix.