[opendtv] Re: Howard Stern and the Future of Media Censorship

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:37:34 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> My comment was aimed at Bert's using of Janet and
> Justin's choreography "proved that even subscription
> services are not immune to censorship."  Last time I
> checked, CBS was not a subscription service.

Jeez, John, did you at least read the quotes I provided
directly from the article? If not the article itself?
Did you see how close the vote came? I wasn't giving you
*my* opinion. I was merely pointing out what the article
stated.

Here, let me refresh your memory:

"By just one vote, a Senate amendment was defeated in
committee that would have imposed these rules and
fines not just on broadcasters, but on cable and
satellite providers too. Another Senate amendment
proposed the regulation of 'excessive violence' in
media. ...

"If Congress or the FCC try to impose traditional
content regulations on Stern-or anyone else operating
in the new media space (cable, satellite or the
Internet)-it will force the constitutional question of
whether government can and should censor the media in
the future."

This does not indicate any seismic shift or tectonic
movement, or whatever BS hyperbole were used, in
broadcasting, toward subscription services. On the
contrary, it shows that content in free or
subscription media is vulnerable to political grand
standing.

> However, I and my family attended a Super Bowl party
> at our church, where we watched the game on the
> church's big screen projector in HD.  The entire
> Timberlake/Jackson act was inappropriately suggestive
> in nature, and was uncalled for in such a high profile
> program.

Oh yawn. Most kids would at best giggle at the scene, if
they even noticed, were it not for all the attention
adults paid to it. Especially when these adults replayed
the scene over and over, in slow motion, on their TiVos.

Everybody just chill out.