[opendtv] Re: How to extend the transiton

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 14:15:47 -0800

Half-power is a just-noticeable difference.  (3 db, for those who don't
know.)  But, I can live with 10 dB, and even gradations at two-week
intervals.

It occurred to me a while ago that Congress has avoided taking
responsibility all along for this.  To wit:

1) throwing 'responsibility' to the FCC using flawed and unconstitutional
criteria (85% per cent based on what measurement criteria?), then
2) revoking the FCC's authority to extend analog TV beyond Feb 17, 2009 as
if the FCC had done something wrong (they could lawfully have done nothing
with what Congress had previously set up); then
3) in that legislation, putting the transition date in the middle of winter,
but more importantly, just after the next President would take office;
4) setting up a coupon-program late in the game, with a 1.5 billion cap
(they got $17-20 bb from the vacated spectrum so far) and no provisions for
increasing the cap;
5) issuing press releases and other indicia criticizing the FCC for 'not
doing enough' on the transition;, then
6) only budgeting FCC money to support the transition in the most recent
budget bill; then
7) now tying the increase in the coupon program to the current 'stimulus
bill', and last but not least;
8) Congressional leaders telling the feckless Kevin Martin to confine the
end of his term at Chairman only to DTV issues.

I'm not saying that there aren't any other people who aren't responsible for
errors and missteps in the transition; I'm saying that on balance, the
problems are almost exclusively caused by Congress.

Note that it was impossible for any bill on this latest matter to come up
before President Bush for signing.

John Willkie