[opendtv] Re: How to Watch the Oscars Online, and Why You Probably Can't

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 14:37:03 -0500

> On Feb 26, 2015, at 9:47 PM, Manfredi, Albert E
> <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Craig Birkmaier wrote:
>
>> What is the difference between a TVE site that offers live streams
>> AND VOD access to the content library of that owner, and other OTT
>> sites,
>
> The TVE site is modeled after the local monopoly pipe for TV content. You
> have only one TVE option, and it is tied to the MVPD you subscribed to, and
> priced accordingly. Meaning, you are not expected to subscribe to multiple
> MVPDs, ditto with TVE.

Perhaps you might make more progress with your argument if you got some of the
facts and concepts straight.

TVE is not - in any way - modeled after the local monopoly pipe for TV content.
The concept does leverage the fact that your subscription to a linear stream
MVPD service ALSO gives you - the subscriber - the right to access the content
you are paying for via the Internet, directly from the content owner (not from
your MVPD service).

I would add that you do not need to be a subscriber to the "the local monopoly
pipe for TV content," to access TVE sites. You can access these sites if you
subscribe to a DBS service (national, not local), and if you subscribe to a
Virtual MVPD service such as Dish Sling.

The key here is that the MVPD service is handling customer service and billing
for the content owners, whereas other OTT sites like Netflix do this directly,
typically after you authorize them to charge your credit card every month.

It is true that non-MVPD subscribers cannot access these sites. This is equally
true for OTT services like Netflix, CBS All Access and Hulu Plus, if you do not
pay for them.

I would also add that there is no additional charge for the ability to access
TVE sites, thus it is fair to say that TVE is a value added enhancement to MVPD
service. It allows you to view the content you are paying for on any screen
with Internet access, without the need to connect to the local monopoly pipe or
a DBS satellite.

Why someone would subscribe to multiple MVPD services is a meaningless issue.
The only reason would be to gain access to exclusive content that is not
duplicated on the other service. And technically, nobody subscribes to TVE
sites; these sites just verify that you subscribe to the linear streaming
service offered by that content owner.

>> How do other sites exploit the Internet medium in ways that a TVE
>> site cannot?
>
> You're thinking backwards. It is consumers that can exploit the open
> Internet, opting for whatever sources of content they please, at whatever
> price points they please.

Fine. You get what you pay for...or commercials.

> TVE attempts to retain the old school MVPD gatekeeper model. For some reason,
> you haven't been able to get past that gatekeeper model.

There is no reason to get past that point. It IS the point.

TVE is a service developed to enhance your MVPD subscription. As we move
forward, it may be the primary way that you access the content you are paying
for, RATHER THAN the monopoly linear pipes or a satellite.

And TVE does not preclude a content owner from offering other ways to access
their content without a MVPD subscription. HBO is a great example. If you
subscribe to HBO as part of your MVPD service, you have access to the HBO TVE
service. If - when it becomes available - you do not want to subscribe to a
MVPD service, you will be able to subscribe to the HBO direct Internet service.

That being said, HBO has not told us how we will be able to subscribe to the
direct Internet service, or what it will cost. It may well turn out that you
will buy it from your ISP service, which might ALSO be the local monopoly TV
pipe.

>> It is possible that someday in the future we might buy these
>> bundles from ANY MVPD,
>
> Future? Looks like Dish, with Sling TV, is way ahead of you, then.

NO.

Dish is NOT a local monopoly TV provider. It is a National DBS service that is
now creating a new VMVPD service delivered via your local monopoly ISP service,
your local monopoly wireless cellular service, or WiFi pipes you can access.

> Their "future" is now. Even WITHOUT being capable of receiving Dish, let
> alone be subscribed to Dish, anyone can subscribe to Sling TV.

So? Dish is giving you choices.
Subscribe to their DBS service - available to the vast majority of U.S. Homes
Subscribe to Dish Sling - available anywhere you can access the Internet

If you subscribe to Sling, you are in fact subscribed to a Dish MVPD service.

> All you need is a broadband pipe, just like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. How
> did all these guys get out there so fast, Craig, when you're still calling
> that "the future."

Because, as usual, you twist stuff around.

This is the thread I responded to:

>> And when/as/if you will be graciously permitted to subscribe to Comcast's
>> TVE, because they offer a better TVE package than what Cox offers, that's
>> when you will see the MVPDs becoming OTT sites rather than what they are
>> now. For obvious reasons I've mentioned many times.

> More disinformation.

Stuff deleted from my response, then cherry picked:

> It is possible that someday in the future we might buy these bundles from ANY
> MVPD, be it Cox or Comcast, or Dish Sling, or Sony Play Station Vue, or
> whatever Verizon comes up with, or something yet to be introduced by Apple,
> or Google, or...

Sorry to have to dredge all of this up, but it is typical of the way Bert
builds his house of cards arguments...

I was saying that the day may well come when we can buy MVPD bundles from any
MVPD service, local, or from another operator of monopoly pipes

 But let's put this into the correct perspective.

At what point in the future Bert, will you be able to buy your ISP service from
Comcast, or Cox Cable?

The fact is that you will continue to need to buy ISP service from a local
monopoly pipe, and will likely continue to need to, now that Title II
regulation may apply if the FCC order survives the court challenges.

As for the growth of OTT services like Netflix, Hulu, etc., they simply took
advantage of evolving technologies:
1. Improved bandwidth speeds to the home
2. Improved video compression technology
3. New mobile screens that easily connect to the Internet and deliver a high
quality TV viewing experience.

I might add, the ability to operate for years, with little if any profit to
gain a competitive foothold.

> I'm simply saying, you are amazingly timid about this? TVE is old school
> stuff, and it has already been bypassed.

Only in your mind. It is the future of the MVPD business, which is why there is
so much investment and promotion of the service.

>> The fact that you can now have access to a subset of this
>> content at a reduced price does not seem to appeal to you,
>
> Sling TV is primarily for sports fans, Craig.

No Bert. Real sports fans typically pay for more expensive bundles, like
DirecTV NFL Prime Ticket or any of a number of regional sports networks.

Sling TV is aimed at cord cutters and cord never's, primarily the Millennials.
And it offers many networks that appeal to Millennials, not just sports. And it
will allow for less expensive mini bundles to supplement the base service.

> The largest chunk of the fee, by far, goes to ESPN. I already get a far
> greater choice of content I like to watch, than what Sling TV offers. So, why
> should I be interested? But sports fans certainly would be.

It remains to be seen if anyone is interested in Sling.