[opendtv] Re: How to Watch the Oscars Online, and Why You Probably Can't

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 02:47:36 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> What is the difference between a TVE site that offers live streams
> AND VOD access to the content library of that owner, and other OTT
> sites,

The TVE site is modeled after the local monopoly pipe for TV content. You have
only one TVE option, and it is tied to the MVPD you subscribed to, and priced
accordingly. Meaning, you are not expected to subscribe to multiple MVPDs,
ditto with TVE.

> How do other sites exploit the Internet medium in ways that a TVE
> site cannot?

You're thinking backwards. It is consumers that can exploit the open Internet,
opting for whatever sources of content they please, at whatever price points
they please. TVE attempts to retain the old school MVPD gatekeeper model. For
some reason, you haven't been able to get past that gatekeeper model.

> It is possible that someday in the future we might buy these
> bundles from ANY MVPD,

Future? Looks like Dish, with Sling TV, is way ahead of you, then. Their
"future" is now. Even WITHOUT being capable of receiving Dish, let alone be
subscribed to Dish, anyone can subscribe to Sling TV. All you need is a
broadband pipe, just like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. How did all these guys
get out there so fast, Craig, when you're still calling that "the future."

I'm simply saying, you are amazingly timid about this? TVE is old school stuff,
and it has already been bypassed.

> The reality is that you do not want to pay for either service,

Correct, but this is irrelevant to the discussion. I also refuse to smoke
cigarettes, in case you were wondering that too.

> The fact that you can now have access to a subset of this
> content at a reduced price does not seem to appeal to you,

Sling TV is primarily for sports fans, Craig. The largest chunk of the fee, by
far, goes to ESPN. I already get a far greater choice of content I like to
watch, than what Sling TV offers. So, why should I be interested? But sports
fans certainly would be.