[opendtv] Re: How to Watch the Oscars Online, and Why You Probably Can't

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 02:49:52 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Nothing has changed yet Bert. I have been talking about the MVPDs
> moving to the Internet for at least a year, if not longer.

And as I've said multiple times, you are missing the bigger picture. What you
describe is merely TVE. Hardly exploiting this two-way Internet medium. And as
a consequence of the fact that TVE is not exploiting the new technology, bound
to change.

Have you been able to subscribe to Comcast's TVE yet, Craig? Why can't you? Why
can't you get the greater choice of content Comcast TVE offers, if you already
have broadband?

And when/as/if you will be graciously permitted to subscribe to Comcast's TVE,
because they offer a better TVE package than what Cox offers, that's when you
will see the MVPDs becoming OTT sites rather than what they are now. For
obvious reasons I've mentioned many times.

> Have you signed up for Sling yet Bert?

Let's explore why you would ask that, Craig. Tell me what Sling TV's ace in the
hole is, i.e. what gives it appeal as a competitive OTT site, what makes it
unlike a traditional MVPD, and then explain to me why I would want to subscribe
to it. It is because you feel compelled to call it a VMVPD, for political
reasons, that you are missing the obvious here. It would have been far more
logical to ask if I'd subscribed to CBS All Access! Another OTT site that
HARDLY qualifies as VMVPD.