[opendtv] Re: How did Plug and Play (cable) come to include ATSC?

  • From: Mark Aitken <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:02:22 -0500

Personal opinion (mine) here...

Until there is agreement on full stream carriage, not a single
broadcaster is willing to even think about a true commitment to
interactive. I agree that there is a LOT more that Broadcasters could be
doing...and Broadcasters are (by and large) trying to work with cable
(some representatives more than others), and there have been strategic,
important changes in direction on some fronts (i.e. ATSC dropping DASE
in favor of ACAP, an OCAP interoperable standard). There is work on the
codec front underway too (interesting babbling from the CE guys on that
one!).

But there needs to be an understanding that the added efforts (total
value equation) will end up being distributed by WHATEVER means (OTA,
cable, DTH, WiFi/WiMax, xDSL, ...WHO CARES!). And I say that
understanding that as local Broadcasters we have a GREAT DEAL that all
those "other" distribution platforms want to leverage.

That is why negotiated re-transmission agreements are so important (no
free lunch)!

End of personal opinion...

--

Regards,
Mark A. Aitken Director, Advanced Technology

***********************************
Sinclair Broadcast Group
10706 Beaver Dam Road
Hunt Valley, MD 21030
Business TEL: (410) 568-1535
Business MOBILE: (443) 677-4425
Business FAX: (410) 568-1580
E-mail: maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
Text PAGE: page.maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
www.newscentral.tv
www.sbgi.net
===================================
“There never was a good war
or bad peace....”

~ ~ ~ Benjamin Franklin ~ ~ ~
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain
confidential information intended only for the person(s) to whom this
email message is addressed.  If you have received this email message in
error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or email and
destroy the original message without making a copy.  Thank you.