[opendtv] Re: How Valuable is Low-Band VHF Anymore? | TvTechnology

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2015 01:30:42 +0000

Daniel Grimes wrote:

If Craig is correct about trying to make our Broadcast TV service
reach mobile devices, this makes good business sense rather than
being pressed down to Low-VHF as the article suggests.

Not to begin another infinite debate, but I think it goes beyond just making
the existing broadcast service, as is, available to mobile devices.

ATSC 3.0 claims it wants to do a bunch of things, among which are to support
mobile devices, provide on demand, provide broadband service. If the aim of
ATSC 3.0 is to repurpose the TV spectrum to these new services, then low band
VHF is about as useful to ATSC as it is to Verizon and AT&T. For exactly the
same reasons.

Broadcasters, or at least those that subscribe to ATSC 3.0's golas, have to get
this point across to the FCC. I'm not sure how the FCC would react, but it
seems to me that the FCC is unaware of this wholesale repurposing some
broadcasters might have in mind.

As to simply extending the existing linear broadcast service to mobile devices,
I would not put a lot of faith in that idea. It might get used on those odd
occasions, but this type of TV broadcast to mobile service has failed
everywhere, when it was tried. Here and across the pond. So I think TV
"broadcasters" need to think beyond just feeding mobile devices with their same
old signal.