[opendtv] Re: How Many Are Really Watching HDTV

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 07:00:43 -0500

Kilroy Hughes wrote:
> Enjoy it while you can.  Most cable operators plan to scramble those clear
> QAM channels when they kill their analog signals in the next year or two; so
> in both cases (NTSC and ATSC cable ready TVs and computers) you'll need to
> get or lease a settop box from them and add another remote to your pile (or
> another configuration to your Harmony, etc. programmable remote).  I've heard
> some operators plan to give you up to two boxes for free; ain't that
> generous.
>
> At least you will be OK with an HDMI connection from STB to your new TV.  HD
> displays without HDCP on HDMI or DVI will probably be stuck with SD
> resolution.
>
> If your PC is like mine, you can currently record a couple HD channels while
> watching another recorded HD show.  That will go away with an external STB
> (you can only record and watch one program at a time), and automatic
> recording will require an IR repeater and unnatural acts to get it to tune
> while you're away.
>
> But, you'll be able to buy 100Mbps IP service from your cable operator with
> all that recycled bandwidth, so you'll never have to watch a real broadcast
> channel again and won't need any tuners.
>
> Kilroy Hughes

Well, I'll deal with that when it happens.  Cable companies would like
to drop analog.  But I think they (and the CE guys) still somewhat like
the advantage digital cable ready TV's have on cable over satellite and
clear QAM limited basic will be the last to go, at least for advertising
supported network channels.

Besides, typically after I have cable for a few months or a year at some
residence it seems the cable company (Cox or Comcast) will drop the
teaser rates and try to make me upgrade or pay more for the limited
basic tier.  At that time I always drop it anyway and just keep the
broadband.  Maybe I'll even put my antennas back up then.

- Tom