[opendtv] Re: How About Portable ATSC Receivers?

  • From: "John Willkie" <JohnWillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 10:36:17 -0800

First off, I don't understand your post.

Could you explain what PIDs are in the VCT, and just how these are
mismatched to PIDs that you assert are in the PMT?  (I suspect that you mean
the SLD in the EIT-0 (missing events, apparently) versus the PMT PIDs, but I
see none of that here.

I have developed an application that can assess the MPEG-SI and PSIP in a
transport stream.  I particularly love bad ts's.  If you'd like me to run
this stream (I need at least 60 seconds) through my system, let me know.

Here's what I see in your print out (which I cannot vouch for, since I do
not know the system)

MGT;  4 EITS (0-3); RRT for region 1

The EITs are 15 bytes in length.  That means they either indicate 0 events
and provide no event information, or they list up to 255 events are listed
in each EIT instance, but provide no event information.  (14 bytes is the
minimum size of a PSIP table; 9 bytes for MPEG-2 header, 1 byte for ATSC
header, 4 bytes for CRC-32.)

Only two of the EITs are listed in the MGT.

The NIT listing is a hint that the encoder is probably a Tandberg (with the
factory settings on NIT not changed), which is only confirmed by the lowest
program_number in service being 3.  (That's also the major PSIP problem;
mismatch of the program_number between TVCT and PMT.)

NO PID mismatch;  items listed n the MGT which are not found in the
transport stream segment provided.  How long in time is the number of
frames?

I've seen EIT-s with duty cycles of 11000 ms (recommendation 500 ms).  Means
that people tuning to the channel have to wait up to 11 seconds for EPG
information.  Kinda slows down channel surfing.