[opendtv] Re: Here’s Comcast’s Version of Apple TV

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 07:22:54 -0400

On Jun 21, 2013, at 5:31 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E"
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That's absurd. So, you're saying that Dell had to go to the congloms to get
> permission for me to navigate to abc.com, cbs.com, etc., never mind the rest
> of the Web? Why can't AppleTV, Roku, et al., do the same thing as Dell, then?

It depends on the device; Google TV incorporates the Chrome web browser; it can
access MANY sites that deliver OTT video, but many of these sites specifically
block streams when they "see" they are connecting to a TV.

The fact that many other devices do not offer apps to connect to these services
is based entirely on the fact that they cannot obtain the rights to access the
content on these sites. This will become more obvious as "smart TV devices"
support full web browsing capabilities.

The reality that many of these devices do not have full web browsers is almost
entirely based on human interface considerations. The public has shown little
interest in connecting PCs to TVs and using a keyboard and mouse while sitting
on the sofa or in a easy chair. On the other hand, the public is embracing the
use of tablets as second screens, and the use of tablets and smartphones as
intelligent remote controls.

The major problem with this is that these new mobile platforms offer many
options to occupy your time. For example:

1. News/information portals - why watch the evening news on TV when you can
access the latest news on demand on a tablet? Who needs "The Weather Channel"
anymore?

2. E-commerce/shopping - why put up with ad supported entertainment, or why
waste your ad dollars on TV, when you can reach a potential customer directly
when they are shopping and looking for ideas.

3. Games: The era of console games is drawing to an end. Next generation
consoles are trying to compete with smart TV devices, but they are much more
expensive and primarily of interest to hard core gamers who will pay $40-50 for
a game. Casual gaming on mobile devices is a huge area of growth today, with
tens of millions of people who have no interest in console games now paying a
buck or two for a game; most of these games are available for free with ads,
but people will pay a small amount to turn off the ads (could this happen to TV
too?).

4. Social networking - the story of other peoples lives as portrayed on TV, is
giving way to the story of OUR lives shared across social networks. Often this
extends to social interactions while watching TV.

5. E-books - reading is "in" again.

6. Fact checking and depth information. I was watching "The Five" yesterday and
they were talking about the impact of technology on our "always connected"
live. One comment that really hit home was that everyone talked about using
their tablet/smartphone, to check facts or to access more information while
watching TV. This also extends into the realm of social networking. One person
talked about the distraction of talking to someone while their phone was
chirping every minute or two with a new text message; another noted they has a
rule in their house that you cannot text someone in another room.

They were talking about this report in the UK Daily Mail:

Mobile users can't leave their phone alone for six minutes and check it up to
150 times a day

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2276752/Mobile-users-leave-phone-minutes-check-150-times-day.html

Then there is the reality that when Bert and I sit down to play "the OpenDTV
game," we are not watching TV…

Well I'm not anyway.