[opendtv] Re: Here’s Comcast’s Version of Apple TV

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 07:15:05 -0400

On Jun 28, 2013, at 4:37 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E"
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Wrong discussion entirely. What I said was, the DBS companies can *reinvent*
> themselves, as the cable companies have done and are doing, to go from being
> TV content broadcasters to a new role as two-way IP service providers for the
> boonies. That's the main change.

Really?

Satellite broadband is available, but rather limited. Yes DBS could dedicate
all of it's existing spectrum to broadband, but the number of homes it could
support at higher bit rates is severely limited. They would need fleets of spot
beam satellites to re-use the spectrum efficiently enough to cover s meaningful
number of homes.