[opendtv] Re: Here we go again...

  • From: John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 17:47:47 -0400 (EDT)

are you most people?

And, it sounds like you are saying that all cars should come with AM/FM/Shortwave/Intenet radio/iBiquity/XM/Sirius.  What type of radio have I missed?  And, at what cost?  I'd like that kind of radio, but I suspect that few others would feed a need for 3-30 mhz shortwave.

My mother bought a new, inexpensive car some years ago.  It's the most expensive thing that she has ever bought, without input from my late father.  She likes having a radio, and she got one.

It's a Monsoon brand that came with her car.  It's a remarkably good radio.  Excellent sound.  Plays MP3s, offers time when turned off.  IIRC, she didn't even realize that it could play CDs, but it's a feature she seldom uses, even though Trini Lopez isn't hear often on talk radio.

Having a built-in radio doesn't mean that you would avoid a cheaper car because of the quality of a radio.  Now, compare that to performance (I guess now they're talking more seriously about mileage now), or not having tires ...

I'm willing to bet that only foolish people choose a car based on the radio.  I know that concept has been used in stand up comedy for a few decades.