[opendtv] Re: Have you heard...

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 12:49:10 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> If you have been listening to the radio lately, chances are very
> good that you have heard ads for HD radio put together by the HD
> Radio alliance.
>
> http://www.hdradioalliance.com/commercials.php
>
> I was curious about the campaign, as there appears to be no
> equivalent for Digital TV. So I Googled it and found the press
> release that follows.
>
> Maybe in TV land a quarter of a BILLION DOLLAR ad campaign is no
> big deal. After all, the TV broadcast industry topped $48
> billion in revenues in 2006, thanks in part to the 2006
> elections. Meanwhile, radio broadcasters barely topped $20
> billion in revenue in 2006.
>
> So what gives here?

I've been wondering out loud the same thing. HD Radio ads are on the air
frequently, including ads from companies like Radio Shack.

My question is, why haven't radio broadcasters rolled over and played
dead, letting XM Radio and Sirius take over the delivery?

But true to form, I have noticed that TPV talks about satellite radio
but never HD Radio, just as they hardly ever mention FOTA DTV. So maybe
there's a "no free radio" consiracy brewing too.