[opendtv] Have you heard...

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 12:24:45 -0400

If you have been listening to the radio lately, chances are very good that you have heard ads for HD radio put together by the HD Radio alliance.

http://www.hdradioalliance.com/commercials.php

I was curious about the campaign, as there appears to be no equivalent for Digital TV. So I Googled it and found the press release that follows.

Maybe in TV land a quarter of a BILLION DOLLAR ad campaign is no big deal. After all, the TV broadcast industry topped $48 billion in revenues in 2006, thanks in part to the 2006 elections. Meanwhile, radio broadcasters barely topped $20 billion in revenue in 2006.

So what gives here?

HD radio was launched in earnest in 2006 - there are now more than 1,000 radio stations on the air broadcasting the HD radio signals. I cannot go a day now without hearing multiple ads for HD radio.

Digital TV was launched in the U.S. in 1997, and almost every station in the country has been on the air for 2-3 years, most far longer. I have yet to see an ad for DTV, although the CE manufacturers are promoting HD ready products.

This past week the NAB went on record again in opposition to the XM Sirius merger -seems they think radio broadcasting has a future and it includes competition with satellite and and other competitors.

To be fair, the NAB is starting to put together a plan for the DTV transition. You can find out more at:

http://www.dtvtransition.org/

And they announced that they plan to have public service announcements about DTV ready by the end of the year. Fat chance of seeing these during prime time. Seems like the CE industry, NAB and broadcasters could come up with a few bucks to promote DTV.

Guess not.

http://www.hdradio.com/press_room.php?newscontent=50

HD Digital Radio Alliance Pumps Up the Volume in 2007; New Ad Campaign Will Top $250 Million

In just 12 months, HD Radio has grown to 1000+ stations, over 100 new formats, dozens of receivers, thousands of retail outlets and commitments for 49 models from nine car makers

Unprecedented momentum includes largest-ever radio campaign and fastest consumer technology rollout in history

ORLANDO, Fla. - December 4, 2006 - A consortium of top U.S. radio companies came together one year ago in an unprecedented strategic alliance to accelerate the rollout of HD Digital Radio ?. After an astounding first year that put HD Digital Radio on track to be the fastest consumer technology rollout in history, the HD Digital Radio Alliance today announced that it has renewed its charter, with broadcasters increasing their advertising commitment to $250 million. Next year's marketing campaigns will continue to support the success of a rapidly growing list of retail, receiver and automotive partners in the HD Radio? marketplace.

With this expanded commitment, Alliance member companies will continue to promote HD Digital Radio and the new HD2 multicast channels, along with its manufacturing, retail and automotive partners. Over 1,000 U.S. radio stations are currently broadcasting in HD, reaching 81% of the population and over 230 million people. More than 500 of those FM stations are providing HD2 multicast channels, dramatically expanding programming choices in 167 markets.

"The radio industry is in a whole new place today on the Alliance's one-year anniversary," said Peter Ferrara, president and C.E.O. of the Alliance. "We have driven a wave of progress on digital radio HD Digital Radio Alliance Steps Up With $250 Million in New Ads supported by a wealth of new content and formats, as well as new HD Radio receivers, an explosion in retail availability; and new automotive partners and devices that are turning the in-car radio environment digital. We are grateful to all our partners for their leadership and vision, and we're excited to expand our marketing commitment to ensure that every consumer in the United States discovers HD Digital Radio."

The success of the Alliance's effort thus far has been striking. Twelve months ago, the number of stations providing HD2 multicast programming stood at just 89. Today it is over 500 and counting. A year ago, few HD-capable devices were being manufactured, prices were high and retail availability scarce. Today, receiver choice is proliferating with HD Radio units manufactured by more than 35 device makers for the home and automotive markets. Prices recently hit the "magic" $199, driven even lower by available consumer rebates. And literally thousands of retail outlets carry product.

"The speed of this rollout is nothing short of phenomenal," said Mark Mays, C.E.O. of Clear Channel Communications. "We've gone from having zero receivers on store shelves a year ago to having a full range of models today, in both performance and price. We've gone from having a scant 89 HD2 broadcasts a year ago to an astounding 500-plus today, with an influx of fresh and innovative content."

"HD is not just the future of radio - it is the present," said Joel Hollander, Chairman and C.E.O., CBS Radio. "It is a critical element of the forward strategy for CBS Radio and our other partners, and the success thus far has been phenomenal. We salute our fellow Alliance members for making a tremendous investment in HD Digital Radio, which stands as a tribute to their commitment to the future of this industry."

"We've known for months that nothing comes close to the sound quality of HD Digital Radio, and now we're seeing evidence that consumers agree," said Peter Smyth, president and C.E.O. of Greater Media. "The $99 Accurian promotions over the Thanksgiving weekend were a huge success in Detroit, with sales exceeding expectations by 100% in some retail locations."

"As the developers of HD Radio technology, we are grateful to the HD Digital Radio Alliance for the difference their efforts have made in the marketplace," said Robert Struble, president and C.E.O., iBiquity Digital Corporation. "Because of their support and commitment, the pace of consumer adoption has outstripped all our expectations."

Only two things haven't changed since the advent of the Alliance - and never will. Radio continues to faithfully serve local marketplaces with content that is locally created and tailored to the needs and interests of the communities it serves. Reinforced by the enhancements offered by HD Radio technology, local radio is growing stronger, better and more diverse than ever - in crystal clear, digital sound. And HD Digital Radio remains free with no subscription fee required.
About the HD Digital Radio Alliance

The HD Digital Radio Alliance is a joint initiative of leading radio broadcasters to accelerate the successful rollout of HD Digital Radio. Current members include major radio groups and independent station owners: ABC Radio (in Los Angeles and Minneapolis), Beasley Broadcast Group, Bonneville International, CBS Radio, Citadel Broadcasting, Clear Channel Radio, Cumulus, Emmis Communications, Entercom, Greater Media and independent owner Jerry Lee with WBEB Philadelphia. For more information on HD Digital Radio, visit www.hdradio.com.