[opendtv] Re: Harris, NAB: PSIP Deadline Impossible

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 16:40:05 -0800

If someone wants to meet the deadline, I would suggest they start working
with their automation system and PSIP vendor NOW.  It can be done, but it
would be best to get the bugs out of real-time updates outside of the May
sweeps.  Thankfully, the May sweeps end the week before the deadline.  I for
one, see two types of customers; those interested in meeting the deadline,
and those interested in having real PSIP working after the deadline.

As a practical matter, as I pointed out on my PSIP list late last year,
these new rules will require EVERY TV STATION IN THE US TO HAVE AN
AUTOMATION SYSTEM.  Or, they get fined when their sports programming
overruns, or they or their network make last-minute changes.

Harris demonstrated the ADC automation system at last year's NAB.  Was it
vaporware then?  They used a Harris-branded PSIP+ generator that was PMCP
compliant but which was not available to customers. In the meantime, despite
having previously said that they would not market a PMCP-compliant PSIP
generator, Triveni Digital has PMCP support in the latest rev of their PSIP
software.  Triveni's system is operational, but ADC's isn't?

Didn't they know that broadcasters would need to make last-minute changes in
programs?

There is stuff I would like to say, but I cannot.  There is a mutual NDA
between Harris and myself.  I can say that Harris and Triveni Digital have
parted ways, and that means costs will go up for users if they wish to
continue to use "less defective than previous" Triveni units.

I can say that I am actively pitching my system to network folk, including
Harris customers, and I am not getting responses to my emails.  I've been
wondering why that is.

If this comes down to an FCC proceeding - I doubt it, since any proceeding
at this point would automatically delay things - I will oppose it.  I can
meet the deadline, but the requirement to label downconverted programming
will be challenging to implement in the real world.  It's not unlike the
issue presented by Martin Holmes in his recent lapse of lurkerdom - the
aspect ratio and size of the video needs to be bound to the item in the
traffic log.

Also, I need to point out something.  The text of the proceeding was
released on December 31.  Jay Adrick participated in the proceeding for
Harris.  If this was a big issue, just why are we only hearing of it more
than 60 days later?  I'd say that the deadline might be extended, but only
for a few weeks.  Broadcasters have five months from the date the text was
released.

I think the issue might actually be the sales cycle.  Selling the needed
systems at NAB and installing them within 6 weeks, that will be an issue.
It's an issue that should have been addressed in the proceeding, not a month
after the text was published in the Federal Register.

We need also to remember that the ATSC and NAB was strongly urging the FCC
to adopt an EARLIER deadline than the last day of May; they wanted the rules
to be in force by March 1, 2007.  So, on second thought, this has about 0%
chance of succeeding; the FCC was itself delayed in opening this proceeding.
Nobody wants to use that argument in this context, I suspect; they're
unlikely to extend it.

Pay Triveni Digital $9,000 (plus $2,700 per year software assurance) to
'upgrade' former units, or buy something better, or face FCC fines.  I just
love free markets!

I'm sorry to hear that one of Harris's automation systems won't be able to
handle PMCP by May 30, 2007.  There have been such systems offered by other
vendors for more than 3 years.  Let me phrase this carefully; how many other
of the Harris units that offer automation or traffic systems won't be able
to meet the deadline?

John Willkie, wondering how many people he can offend in a single post.