[opendtv] Re: "Hardened" Networks -- (was: Reading between the lines)

  • From: "Hunold, Ken" <KRH@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 16:56:42 -0400

If you want to see a hardened network, literally, take a look at
broadcast radio transmitter sites built during the Cold War for the
Conelrad system.  Supposedly with federal monetary support, many of
these sites were built and "hardened" with concrete.  Some featured a
thick roof and a meager windowless broadcast studio.  Some still have
the two towers needed for operation on the Conelrad frequencies.

FYI, as I have mentioned before, on 9/11 the cell service in New York
City was useless.  Blackberry got some mileage out of saying that their
network did not go down, but that was most likely because they didn't
have many subscribers back then.  WIRED internet service was the most
reliable method of communication, even better than the wired POTS
network.  That's how I let my family know I was all right, ten blocks
from Ground Zero.

As in previous emergencies, people gathered around cars to hear radio
reports about what was going on.   It should also be noted that all of
the major New York TV stations were knocked off the air because their
antennas were all on the World Trade Center.  WCBS-TV still maintained a
back-up site on the Empire State Building and, just as in the previous
attack on the WTC, they were back on the air soon after the attack.

Regards,

Ken Hunold